Betas are editors. They give advice where needed and are not afraid to point out where a story can be improved. It is after all a team-effort.
Tips for betas and authors:
- Clear communication is key.
- On the above point, agree on a system of editing. It doesn't have to be complicated - just clear.
- Email is most convenient; Microsoft Word offers means of commenting a work that otherwise would be easiest done by snail mailing a commented copy.
- Do not agree to meet in person with a stranger.
- The final work is a final work and should have polish. Top that good fan fic with a good grammatical editing! Take pride in your work, and finish strong.
- Ask yourself if you have the time to commit to being a beta. Some of those fan fics are lengthy or may require much attention.
Need a beta for your story? Below are betas! Please feel free to contact any or all. Remember, two has a better outcome than one and a cord of three strands is not easily broken.